Simple, fast, easy! Order your filters to simplify your life!
If you live in Florida, you need your HVAC system to work correctly. The hot and humid weather can be grueling without air conditioning.
To maintain a healthy and comfortable home, you’ll need to swap your air filters from time to time. Replacing these filters allows your system to operate efficiently and keep your air cleaner.
At Del-Air Heating and Air Conditioning, we understand the need for proper AC unit filter installation and affordable air filters for your home. Explore everything you need to know when changing your filters and how to keep your system at its best.
How Often Should You Change Your Air Filter?
Regularly changing the air filters for your home is a crucial part of HVAC maintenance.
As a general rule, you should check your central air system filters monthly. Regular inspections are especially crucial during the summer when the system is working its hardest. Anytime the filters look dirty, changing them is a good idea. Otherwise, you should replace filters every three months at a minimum.
A few different factors can make it necessary to change the filters more or less frequently.
- Air filter design: Some filters will need replacing more often because of their design and density. Different types are more effective in capturing particles from the air.
- Pets: Dander and hair from your pets can clog air filters. The more furry friends you have in your home, the more often you’ll need to swap filters.
- Allergies: Allergy sufferers need to minimize allergens such as dust mites and pollen. You may need to change your filters every month.
- Air pollution: If you live in a community with a lot of air pollution, it is beneficial to swap out your air filters regularly to maintain healthier indoor air quality.
- Household size: Larger houses tend to need their air filters replaced more frequently because of the volume of air circulating throughout the HVAC system.
- Construction: Whether you’re remodeling a room of your home or there is construction on your street, this type of work can impact air quality and cleanliness.
- Minimum efficiency reporting value: Your air filter’s MERV rating indicates its efficiency in trapping small particles. Filters with higher ratings are more efficient and can capture more particles and pollutants in the air.
- Smoking: If you or someone you live with smokes, this can impact your air quality and require you to tend to your filters more frequently.
Regular air filter upkeep is essential for maintaining good indoor air quality and a cleaner home. Being proactive can support better health and seasonal allergy relief. Plus, your system will run more smoothly.
What Happens If You Don’t Change Filters for Central Air Systems?
If you fail to replace your HVAC system’s air filters, you could face several issues.
- Higher energy bills: Clogged filters force your system to work even harder to circulate the air around your home.
- Health concerns: Dirty filters cannot capture as many particles from the air, which means your family breathes in contaminants.
- Inadequate temperature regulation: If your central air system is dirty, it can impact airflow and the temperatures throughout your space.
- Frozen coils: When clogged filters block airflow from the evaporator coils, they can freeze from the refrigerant inside the AC system.
- Compressor damage: Your system has to work overtime when the filters are dirty. Without adequate air circulation, your compressor can overheat and decline over time.
- Poor air quality: Your home’s air quality relies on clean filters. If you neglect to replace them often enough, you could have an abundance of dust and allergens.
Air filter installation and replacement are routine parts of HVAC system maintenance you should never ignore. Paying for inexpensive air filters is so much better than updating a system that broke down prematurely because you didn’t take proper care of it.
What You Need to Know to Replace Your Air Filters
Choosing air filters for your system is crucial. Be sure to explore the following factors before heating and air conditioning filter installation.
The Right Size
Finding the right size air filters is essential to the HVAC filter installation process. The International Association of Certified Home Inspectors notes that having the wrong size can lead to the same concerns and problems as having a clogged filter. You’ll want to find tight-fitting filters that adequately support your system.
You can typically find the size you need by looking at your old filter. If it doesn’t have the dimensions listed on its side, you can turn to the professionals at Del-Air Heating and Air Conditioning to determine what your system needs.
The Different Types
When replacing your air filters, take note of the different types available for residential systems. The following are popular options:
- Disposable Fiberglass: A Fiberglass filter can catch larger particles such as lint or dust from passing through.
- Disposable pleated: This option will effectively remove tiny particles like mites or spores from your air but require frequent replacement.
- Disposable electrostatic: Self-charging electrostatic fibers capture small particles and are an excellent choice for those who smoke or have many pets.
- Reusable electrostatic: Electrostatic filters have cotton fibers that attract and trap particles in the air. Reusable options can last for years, since they can be washed and reused.
The Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value
MERV ratings are another vital factor to consider when replacing your home’s air filters.
Most residential filters have a MERV rating to help consumers determine the efficiency and how well they can trap particles from the air. The ratings are typically between 1 and 13.
The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers suggests using filters with a MERV of 6 or higher for residential settings.
However, it is beneficial to note that dense air filters can impact airflow and cause higher resistance. High MERV ratings could cause your system to work harder and heighten energy costs.
Order Today and Recieve 10% Off and Free Shipping on Air Filters Delivered to Your Home
A functional air conditioning system is necessary for every home in Florida to maintain a comfortable indoor climate. The air filter is a key component of your AC unit because it restricts particles from entering the unit, which causes a dip in efficiency.
Del-Air Heating and Air Conditioning understands that replacing your HVAC air filters is an essential part of your system’s maintenance process.
Are you looking for an air filter installation in Florida? Contact us! Want to buy filters instead? Order today and take advantage of 10% off air filters delivered directly to your home with free shipping on orders over $60.
Use code DAF10H123 – Offer ends 12/31/2023.
*Discount Applicable on residential air filtration products only. Offer not valid on commercial products, Water Filters, Humidifier Filters, Accessories. Offer not valid on subscriptions. Offer not valid with any other offer. Other restrictions may apply.
Disclosure: We may receive compensation when you use one of our links to make a purchase.