Having an air conditioning unit that runs efficiently is paramount to its longevity and can actually lower your energy bills. Experts in AC service, Del-Air offers the following 7 tips for improving the efficacy of your AC system:
- Annual Inspections: If you want to protect your HVAC unit, scheduling annual inspections and preventative maintenance is essential. Not only do AC tune-ups ensure your system is functioning at top capacity, but they also help you to catch problems early when repairs cost less. For best results, arrange for inspections in the spring and fall, before the summer and winter seasons begin.
- Regular Air Filter Changes: Air filters play a key role in your HVAC system’s ability to function, in that they collect dust, pet dander, and other allergens. Along with improving the air your family breathes, air filters help your system run more efficiently, keeping your utility bills to a minimum. Hence, changing your air filter regularly is essential.
- AC Coil Cleaning: When was the last time you cleaned your AC coils? A dirty AC coil can make your system work longer and harder to achieve the same temperatures.
In the long run, failing to clean your AC coil can cause your energy bills to skyrocket.
- Proper Shading: Is the outside portion of your AC unit situated in direct sunlight? To protect your system and minimize energy bills, consider shading the outside component of your unit.
- Proper Care with Registers: Homeowners often assume that blocking registers can save you energy. However, doing this actually results in increased pressure in closed-off rooms and impacts your system’s energy efficiency. For best results, keep registers unblocked.
- Window Shading: Even the best AC system can benefit from a helping hand. To minimize your energy bills, utilize curtains and window shades to keep out heat at the hottest time of the day.
- Temperature Increasing: There’s no sense in blasting the AC when no one is home or your family is asleep. To keep utility bills on the down-low, consider turning up the thermostat 5-8 degrees during non-peak times.
Visit the Del-Air Blog for More Tips
The above tips and tricks are crucial for improving AC efficiency. However, if your system still isn’t top notch, you may want to consider replacing it with a newer model that is more energy efficient. For more information about our AC service, contact our HVAC pros online, or browse the Del-Air blog for more suggestions. We look forward to improving your family’s comfort year round.