You probably already know that energy costs are on the rise in the US. With reports showing that annual heating and cooling bills can reach over $1000, it’s no surprise that homeowners are looking for a way to reduce their monthly spending on their air conditioning. Understanding that it’s tough to reduce energy bills if you don’t truly understand how energy efficiency is measured, Del-Air strives to educate home and business owners about this crucial factor.
The key to buying the most energy-efficient HVAC systems lies in understanding the various efficiency ratings used in the industry. Here are the top 5 energy ratings you need to know about:
- Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER): The EER is a measure of the cooling power of an air conditioning system per unit of power consumed. A higher EER corresponds with a more powerful system.
- Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER): SEER gives the average efficiency for the whole season, so it is a more reliable efficiency rating for air conditioners than other metrics.
- Energy Star: All Energy Star-rated HVAC equipment must undergo extensive testing to determine its performance level. If a system does not score a SEER of 14.5 or higher on the test, it can’t bear the Energy Star label. Hence, buying Energy Star products is a great way to reduce your monthly utility costs while contributing to nationwide energy savings.
- Heating Seasonal Factor Performance (HSFP): This rating measures the efficiency of the heating element of a heat pump. A higher HSPF rating corresponds with a more energy-efficient system with the best pumps delivering an SFP rating of 3.5 to 5.
- Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV): A rating for air filters in HVAC equipment, MERV refers to the size of the holes in the filter. MERV ratings range from 1 to 16 with the latter being the highest efficiency.
Contact Del-Air for Expert AC Service
The truth is that you don’t have to sacrifice your family’s comfort to boost efficiency in the home. At Del-Air, we proudly supply homeowners with a wide range of AC units and filters featuring high-efficiency ratings along with the latest selection of Energy Star products. For more tips on the best ways to save money on your air conditioning bills, browse the Del-Air blog or call (855) 972-9943 to schedule an appointment with one of our team members.