Throughout the year, the outdoor components of your AC unit are regularly subjected to leaves, dust, and dirt among other contaminants. Did you know that all this is costing you money? Del-Air, your Tampa AC repair expert, offers advice on how to properly clean your outside AC unit. Our goal is to keep your system running strong while minimizing utility bills in the coming years.
Tools You Will Need
Before you can start cleaning your outdoor AC unit like the pros do, it’s important to gather the necessary professional tools for the job. Purchase the following items before you get started:
- AC coil cleaner (follow your AC maker’s recommendation)
- Garden hose with sprayer
- Gloves and eye protection
- Find the electrical disconnect near your outside unit. These components are typically located in a metal box.
- Open the electrical disconnect and find the switch that turns off the air conditioner. It’s important to make sure the system is off before attempting any cleaning procedures.
- Use the water hose spray to clean off loose debris on the outside unit. Contaminants like dust, grass, leaves, and dirt can collect on these components and affect the quality of air your family is breathing.
- Spray the outside unit with the coil cleaner. Typically made from heavy-duty detergents, coil cleaners have the strength to remove grease, oil, and debris.
- Wait 10-15 minutes for the cleaner foam to bond with the dirt on the coils.
- Rinse the coil cleaner off with the hose to remove all the foam and debris.
Perform the above steps each year to maximize AC performance and indoor air quality while minimizing utility costs. The end result is a more comfortable, healthy home for you and your loved ones.
Call for Help Maintaining Your AC Unit
A well-maintained AC unit can save you money while improving your family’s comfort throughout the year, minimizing instances of allergies and asthma. Follow the above steps once a year, or call the Tampa AC repair leaders at Del-Air Heating and Air Conditioning today at (855) 972-9943 for a complete maintenance check of your system. We look forward to serving your needs in the coming months.