There are three things to remember when you’re installing a new thermostat: location, location, location. Get the location wrong, and you’ll pay more than you need to on energy bills. Get it right, and you’ll enjoy optimal efficiency and performance from your comfort systems. Read on to discover the perfect place to put a thermostat in your Tampa Bay home.
How Thermostats Work
Whether it’s a basic model or one with advanced functions, all thermostats have the same purpose. They monitor the temperature in the surrounding air and signal your HVAC systems to cycle on or off. It’s the way they do it that differentiates newer thermostats from their older counterparts.
- Modern digital thermostats use a type of resistor to measure the electrical resistance in the air, which changes as the air gets warmer or cooler. Called a thermistor, it converts the resistance into an electrical conduit that turns the system on or off.
- Smart thermostats like Nest use additional sensors to alter thermostat settings when no one is home. Equipped with a microprocessor, Nest also adjusts the temperature based on your schedule and personal preferences.
Positioned for Accurate Operation
No matter what type of thermostat you choose, it’s imperative to install it in the right location. Typically, that means positioning it in the area of your home where you spend most of your time. Since a thermostat tracks the temperature in the immediate vicinity, you’ll want to make sure nothing impacts its accuracy. The following tips can help ensure your HVAC systems meet your comfort needs without wasting energy and your money:
- Position the thermostat on an interior wall around five feet above the floor.
- Steer clear of areas that get direct sunlight from nearby windows.
- Choose a place that’s free of drafts where the air circulates naturally.
- Don’t put furniture directly below or in front of the thermostat.
- Avoid locations near heat sources like fireplaces or heating vents.
- Select a place that’s at least 18 inches from an exterior wall.
Professional Thermostat Installation
When you live in a humid subtropical climate like Tampa, FL, a well-functioning thermostat is an indispensable piece of equipment. It’s the brains behind the AC system you rely on to stay cool indoors when temperatures soar. While installing the device is generally straightforward, there are times when you’ll need professional assistance. Depending on your HVAC system setup, you might need to reconfigure components or upgrade the wiring. The team at Del-Air Heating and Air Conditioning has the expertise and experience it takes to do the job.
If you’re searching for a qualified HVAC contractor who can install your thermostat in the ideal location, call us today. Since 1983, Del-Air Heating and Air Conditioning has been the company Tampa trusts for quality HVAC services.