It’s natural to think you’ve escaped air pollution when you enter the sanctuary of your home. Unfortunately, that’s typically not the case. The air in the average American home is often many times more polluted than the air outdoors. Items that release volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air are some of the most common sources of indoor air pollution. Learn how these hazardous contaminants impact the indoor air quality in your home-sweet-home.
How VOCs Pollute Indoor Air
If you’ve ever boiled a pot of water, you already have some understanding of how VOCs work. The water evaporates into a vapor as the temperature of the water increases. VOCs work in the same way with a significant difference. The boiling point for many VOCs is so low that they release pollutants more or less continuously, even when you’re not using the item. Numerous household products fall into this category.
- Degreasing and disinfecting cleansers
- Paints, varnishes and hobby products
- Cosmetics and other personal care products
- Air fresheners, colognes and perfumes
- Building materials like laminated flooring
- Solvents, paint strippers and pesticides
Impact of VOCs on Your Health
Some VOCs have no known effect on human health. Others are associated with serious medical conditions, including heart disease and cancer. Carcinogens like formaldehyde, benzene and methylene chloride are among the most dangerous VOCs. Flu-like symptoms ranging from headaches to nose, eye and throat irritation can indicate the presence of toxic VOCs. Allergies and asthma can develop as well. Older adults and very young children are particularly prone to the harmful effects of VOCs. Long-term exposure can impact the health of every member of your household.
HVAC Solutions to Indoor Pollution
Central HVAC systems keep every room comfortable, but they can also allow pollutants to circulate through your home. Fortunately, the HVAC industry offers many energy-efficient products that work with your ductwork system to clean the air. At Del-Air Heating and Air Conditioning, our long-standing relationships with leading HVAC manufacturers give us access to the latest and greatest of these innovative products. Here are a few of our most popular options.
- Incorporated into your HVAC ductwork, air purifiers with electrostatic plates zap and trap VOCs as small as 0.30 microns in size. They also kill biological contaminants like bacteria viruses.
- Whole-house filters feature an accordion-like stack of filters installed in the ductwork to filter out contaminants. They help clean the air without impacting airflow.
- Energy recovery ventilators bring fresh air into your home and expel stale air outdoors. They capture heat from the outgoing air to help power the process.
Don’t let VOCs compromise the wellbeing of you and your family. Trust the professionals at Del-Air Heating and Air Conditioning to help rid your home of harmful pollutants. From air purifiers to air filter delivery, our HVAC experts offer customized solutions to poor indoor air quality. To learn more or to schedule service, call us today. We’ll show you the way to a healthier home.